Read Riyan’s story for tips on how to prepare for your move to Canada!
Volunteer: Riyan Mody
Country of Origin: Mumbai, India
Qualifications: Masters in Human Resources Management
Specialization/Industry: Human Resources and Information Technology
Experience: 3+ years
Immigrated to Canada: July 2016
Hello! Namaste! My name is Riyan. I moved to Canada in July 2016, so my experience of immigration is new. I wish to share my experience with a few words of guidance.
I pretty much shared the same anxiety and curiosity that any new migrant would face about Canada from the many stories I heard before coming here. Some topics that concerned me were:
- Living – Where?
- Adjusting – How?
- Climate – Everyone says that it’s COLD!
- Food – Will I get what I need?
- Jobs – Will I get a good job?
- Safety – Will I be safe in a foreign land?
- Friends – I don’t know anyone yet.
But always remember…
“To be prepared is half the victory.” – Miguel de Cervantes
With all the curiosity and questions in my mind, I participated in a number of pre-arrival programs to ease my mind.
These pre-arrival services allowed me to launch my “Action Plan,” which included:
- How to write a Canadian style resume
- Learning job search strategies
- Understanding Canadian lingo
- Study loans
- Bridging Programs
Not only did this help me become more comfortable in advance, but to my surprise, many of my questions about post-immigration were answered with these services.
Upon my arrival to Canada, I visited the YMCA Newcomer Information Centre (NIC). I was welcomed with a ‘Welcome Pack’ which added to the excitement of my move to Canada. They also provided free access to YMCA resources, printing, and two weeks to its world class gym and fitness facilities.
My Experience with Next Stop Canada
I wanted the chance to share these pre-arrival services with other newcomers coming to Canada. This is when I decided to volunteer with the Next Stop Canada team. I now extend support to newcomers like me to ensure a smooth transition for their life in Canada.
The webinars, online consultations, mentorship, e-learning, and resources are just some of the support services that are offered by Next Stop Canada. These services can make you can feel a part of Canada from the comfort of your home, before you even arrive!
Why Register with Next Stop Canada?
YMCA’s Next Stop Canada services and its partnering agencies are spread across Canada and provide support and guidance on a number of aspects of pre-arrival, including but not limited to:
- Community Connections
- Language assessment and training
- Orientation to your neighbourhood and city
So to answer the previous questions:
- Living – I found a place in a vibrant neighborhood
- Adjusting – I have been trying Canadian dishes and drinks
- Climate – Winter fashion is totally cool, keeps you warm too
- Food – Indian masalas can be found in walking distance
- Jobs – I work at a multinational corporation in Toronto
- Safety – 3am walks are fun
- Friends – From all over the world
1) I say it in bold because it’s worth gold – Use Next Stop Canada’s Pre-arrival services
2) Be open to changes
3) Take advice
4) Don’t be afraid to try new things!
5) If in doubt, ask!