- This event has passed.
Legal Boot Camp (Enterprise Toronto)
Tuesday, October 17 @ 9:00 am - 10:30 amFree
Whether you want to start a business, or you’re already operating a business, you’re bound to come across legal questions: Do I need to incorporate? Should I trademark my name? Are contracts really that important? How do I prepare proper invoices? What should I do when leasing space for my business? Educating yourself and knowing the answers to these questions is important to the operation of your business.
With this seminar, we will offer answers to many of these legal questions and more. Participants will gain a better understanding of general legal concepts as well as a strong ability to identify legal issues before they become real problems. We will review:
- Business Structures: Choosing between incorporation, partnership, and sole proprietorship.
- Contracts: Identifying key terms and provisions.
- Shareholders Agreements: What they do and why your business may need one.
- Invoicing: What you need to include to ensure your invoices are enforceable.
- Intellectual Property: Using copyrights, trademarks, and patents to protect your brand and information.
- Hiring Employees and Contractors: The critical differences between employees and contractors.
- Small Claims Litigation: Where to go to enforce your contracts when necessary.
- Entering into a Commercial Lease: The critical terms and provisions to consider before entering a lease.
- Legal Resources: Helpful resources to learn more about legal issues for small businesses.
Once you have completed this seminar, we will have taken the mystery out of legal issues and will have provided practical solutions to directly implement towards your business.
Derek Hopfner and Shane Murphy are co-founders of Law Scout, an online legal marketplace that makes it easy for small businesses to hire experienced lawyers at upfront, fixed fees. Prior to Law Scout, Derek worked for over 6 years as a lawyer focused on business law and litigation at an Alberta-based mid-size law firm. Derek has helped numerous small businesses get launched and has advised them through their initial challenges. He received his law degree from the University of Alberta.
Before founding Law Scout, Shane worked as a litigation and class action lawyer at a Toronto-based boutique law firm. In the courts, Shane advocated for the rights of small business owners and came to understand the challenges of working with a lawyer while launching a business on a limited budget. He holds two law degrees from McGill University and a master’s degree from the London School of Economics.